Birthday Cake Cupcakes
Earn some brownie points this Mother’s Day by baking these cupcake beauties, which are just 179 calories each and they most certainly deliver on taste.
FOR THE BIRTHDAY CAKE CUPCAKES CUPCAKES – Serves 12 (179 calories | 4g fat | 15g sugar each)
You will need (Batter):
- 180g flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (slightly heaped)
- 1 tsp baking powder (slightly heaped)
- 75g caster sugar
- 75g xylitol
- 1 large egg
- 150g light mayo
- 1 tsp natural vanilla essence (or the seeds of one vanilla pod if you’re feeling fancy)
For the meringue topping you will need:
- 180g pasteurised egg whites (approximately 6 – they must be pasteurised as we’re eating them raw)
- 100g sugar (to stabilise the egg whites)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Your favourite sprinkles and mini meringues to decorate (available from most major supermarkets)
STEP 1: Let’s get cracking! Whisk together your flour and baking powder and set aside. Combine sugar, eggs, mayo and vanilla bean paste until you get a creamy, fluffy consistency. Gently stir in flour mixture.
STEP 2: Weigh 45g of batter into each cupcake case and bake on 180°c for 30 minutes until golden brown.
STEP 3: For the meringue topping, whisk the egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks have formed (this takes a few minutes and we highly recommend using an electric whisk). Whisk in the sugar until your mix is nice and glossy. Using a 1M JEM piping nozzle (or your favourite alternative), spoon your frosting into your prepared piping bag and swirl onto your cupcakes. Decorate with mini meringues and your favourite sprinkles.
P.S. Top tip: Make mini versions of these if you have many mouths to feed. And if you’re feeling bold, use a blow torch to finish off your meringues like a pro – easy does it!