Easy No Added Sugar Strawberry Jam Recipe
Whilst it is definitely still cold outside and not much fresh fruit is growing, January is still a time when you can try your hand at jam making. With this recipe you won’t need loads of added sugar as well which it makes it perfect for that January health kick.
This fantastic concoction takes hardly any time and primarily only needs three ingredients – frozen fruit, chia seeds and lemon juice. The chia seeds act to thicken the jam which is why you can do away with the mounds of sugar. It doesn’t last quite as long as traditional jam but if you love it as much as we do that really will not be a problem.
Our Head of Marketing, Emily O’Reilly was inspired to try this recipe out for us, whilst she is taking part in the Veganuary challenge. The perfect addition to her vegan overnight oats.
- 290g frozen strawberries
- 2 tablespoons of chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- honey or other sweetener if required (optional)
To make :
- Put the frozen fruit in a pan over a medium heat and watch as your fruit starts to break down. This should happen fairly quickly, but continue to heat until the fruit is really heated through and bubbling away nicely.
- At this point you could break the fruit pieces down a bit further with the back of a spoon but this jam will be beautifully chunky with fruit.
- Now add the chia seeds and lemon juice and stir till they are fully combined. If you are going to add any sweetener this is the time to do it, so taste and add if necessary but be careful as it will be very hot!
- Next you need to remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool. You will notice the jam starts to thicken really quickly as the chia seeds work their magic.
- Give it another stir and then that’s it you have some fantastic ready to use jam.
- You can store this in a sealed container in the fridge for about a week but it has loads of uses like a fruity addition to overnight oats or served with ice cream for a perfect no added sugar topping.
Let us know how you get on and see what other frozen fruits can be easily turned into this quick and easy jam. Share your creations on our Facebook group page Skinny Recipes