Meringue Chicks and Bunny Tails Cupcakes
This Easter why not try this cute cupcake recipe that uses several different techniques to bring together these adorable treats.
Each one starts with a delicious chocolate cupcake base (because who doesn’t want chocolate at easter) topped with a simple lemon curd recipe, then finally decorated with springtime themed meringue decorations.
These take a little extra effort but the results are so rewarding its definitely worth a go.
EASTER CUPCAKES RECIPE – Serves 12 (222 calories | 7g fat (1g sat fat)| 13g sugar each)
- 40g Cocoa
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 160g Beetroot, cooked
- 2 Medium Eggs
- 60ml Canola oil
- 130g Caster sugar
- 120ml Water
For the lemon curd :
- 100grams of xylitol
- juice and zest of 2 large lemons
- 2 eggs
For the meringue :
- 180g egg whites (approximately 6)
- 100g sugar (to stabilise the egg whites)
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
To make :
- Blend the cooked beetroot with the egg, sugar, oil and water. In a separate bowl sift and whisk together the flour, cocoa and baking powder.
- Add dry to wet ingredients and mix until just combined, then bake for 20 minutes at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4.
- Next make the lemon curd. Add the lemon juice and xylitol to a pan and heat till the xylitol is dissolved. In a separate bowl beat the eggs.
- Slowly add the the lemon juice mixture to the beaten eggs, continuously whisking. Continue to the whisk the mixture after all the lemon is added for a further minute.
- Place everything back in the pan and continue to heat till the mixture starts to thicken. Remove from the heat, cover and cool.
- Next comes the fun bit. We would definitely recommend using an electric whisk for this step. Add the cream of tartar to the egg whites and whisk till soft peaks begin to form. Gradually add in the sugar whisking all the while until everything is combined and you have a smooth glossy mixture.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and place your meringue mixture into a piping bag. Preheat the oven to 140•c. To make the chick toppers pipe a peak shaped amount onto the baking tray using the piping bag to create a curl type flourish at the top.
- For the bunny tails pipe a round shape of meringue keeping the the piping bag closer to the tray. Pipe 2 smaller circles next to this on one side for the feet, then finally a smaller one again on top for the fluffy tail.
- Bake for around 25 minutes then allow to cool before putting everything together.
- Start with one of your tasty chocolate cupcakes and add a healthy spoonful of the cooled lemon curd. Use a bit extra lemon curd to give the chick meringues a beak and a teeny bit of melted chocolate for eyes then place either the chick or bunny bums on top of the lemon curd.
- There you have it some super cute Easter cupcakes. Enjoy x