Skinny Victoria Sponge
This British summertime favourite is a must have classic cake for picnics and fetes. Our Skinny version uses white beans making it a gluten free recipe not to mention a decent source of protein and fibre. We’ve stuck to good quality high fruit strawberry jam but you could make it with any flavour jam you like.
SKINNY VICTORIA SPONGE – Serves 10 (235 calories | 9g fat (2g sat fat) | 21g sugar each) | 8g protein | 3g fibre
For the sponge you will need:
- 40g flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bicarbonate soda
- 1.5 tsp baking powder (make sure its GF if you’re doing a GF version)
- Pinch xanthan Gum
- 400g cooked white beans (subtle flavoured varieties like butter, haricot or cannelini work best)
- 6 eggs (300g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 150g caster sugar
- 60ml Sunflower oil
For the filling you will need:
- 100g high fruit strawberry Jam
- 100g 2% fat Greek yoghurt
STEP 1: Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Grease two 20cm sandwich tins and line them with one small disc of unbleached parchment paper or greaseproof paper. Make sure you’ve made the sides nice and greasy, you can use low fat cooking spray for this to keep the mess to a minimum.
STEP 2: Simply whizz up your beans in a blender and combine with all the other cake ingredients. Divide the mix between your two tins and bake for 30 minutes.
STEP 3: Let the cakes cool and then assemble one layer (upside down) with a layer of sticky jam, followed by a slathering of yoghurt and then the other sponge layer (the right way up this time). Set the cake in the fridge for a few hours before serving and then slice into 10.
P.S. Top tip: You can replace vanilla essence with coconut essence in this recipe and switch to raspberry jam for a tasty variation on this classic.
– Please note all recipes are my own and property of The Skinny Bakery Ltd. If you wish to share them, please credit us – thank you!- Mariella Forte, founder, The Skinny Bakery